A few weeks ago, we told you about the Nordstrom Personal Stylist program, which pairs you with someone who can help you put together a look in the style and size you need. For free. I finally met with one last week, and the experience was even better than I expected. The program works like this: give the stylist your size, tell them what you like/don’t like, where you enjoy shopping, and what your goals are, then they find clothes that reflect that. They can help you as little or as much as you’d like, whether it’s putting together a look for an interview, an outfit for a date, or a whole new wardrobe.
Meeting My Nordstrom Personal Stylist
Ephraim, the gent I’d corresponded with via email was promoted to another store, so I was connected with Jonathan, who had already been brought up to speed on my likes and dislikes, and the reason for my visit, which was to create a new wardrobe for myself based on the type of styles I’m into. I met Jonathan at the store, and one look at him told me he was the right guy for the job. Situations like these can be intimidating for first-timers like myself, but he was very friendly and able to put me at ease.
Jonathan immediately took me to a dressing room marked “Reserved for Nordstrom Personal Stylists.” I was a little confused because we hadn’t browsed any of the clothing in the store to find something for me to wear. Once he opened the door to the dressing room, all the questions I’d been asked prior to arriving made sense – he had gone ahead and picked out things for me to try. I’ll admit, I was impressed.
Tips for Your Nordstrom Personal Stylist Experience
Instead of regaling you with the details of my own experience, I’ll give you tips to make your visit with a Nordstrom Personal Stylist hassle-free:
1. Talk to your stylist. Tell them what you want. When you reach out to Nordstrom to set up a meeting with a personal stylist, they’ll ask you a handful of questions about your size, where you like to shop and your favorite styles. Oversharing is okay here – tell them where you shop, what kind of look you want to create – share photos with them if you’ve got them – do whatever you need to do to get your vision across, if you have one. It’s okay if you don’t – your stylist will help you create a look that you’re happy with.
2. If they don’t carry your size in the store, they can (probably) get it for you. Not everything I wanted to try on was available in my size in the store. In most cases, however, Jonathan was able to order things from the Nordstrom website in the sizes I needed. Don’t let this stop you from making an appointment with a stylist – it’s a great way to get someone on your side who understands your style and is willing to help you put together a look you’ll love. At it’s most basic, the Nordstrom Personal Stylist program is a great way to better understand how you can create the type of style you’re looking for. Besides, their website carries clothes to 60 waist and 4XB in tops.
3. Be open to trying on things you might not normally be interested in. If you’re like me, there are probably some items of clothing you just don’t give a chance. Maybe in your case it’s not an article of clothing, but a color you won’t wear. When you’re in there with the stylist, be open and try things, even if you don’t think they’re something you’d normally wear. Worst case, you reconfirm that you don’t like something. Best case – you find a new and interesting thing to wear. Make the most of this experience by being open and adventurous.
4. Don’t feel like you have to buy everything. Your first experience with a Nordstrom Personal Stylist can be overwhelming. You’ll try shirts, outerwear, pants, jeans, shoes, t-shirts and everything else in-between (depending upon your reason for being there). I went in planning to get something a bit more upscale to wear to events, and ended up leaving with the most comfortable pair of pants and t-shirt I’ve encountered in years. I only left with those two things, though I tried on around 30 items. Remember, there’s always next time.
5. Build a relationship with your Personal Stylist. After your first meeting with your stylist, he or she will understand your goals and will be able to help you build a wardrobe that fits your exact needs. My personal stylist, Jonathan will be contacting me when things come in that are available in my size and the style I’m looking for, plus he’ll let me know when the store is holding sales or promotions that might be of interest. I like the idea of having someone out there helping me find deals on the kind of clothes I want to wear, in the sizes I need.
All in all, my visit to the Nordstrom Personal Stylist was worth the trip. Though I only purchased a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, I met someone who understands my style and can help me put together some great looks. Though I may not shop there all the time, I’ll be meeting with Jonathan in the future to create outfits for a variety of occasions. Meet with a Nordstrom Personal Stylist of your own by clicking here.
Would you work with a personal stylist, or have you tried the Nordstrom Personal Stylist program? Give us your thoughts in the comments below.